Following the purging of Galeem's influence from Smash City Alcamoth in the Eryth Sea, a great many new fighters pledged themselves to the campaign to end the reign of the World of Light. Under the organizational expertise of the seasoned mercenary Vandham, the Alcamoth Mercenaries came into being. While the heroes who fought and gathered strength from the beginning would continue hunting Galeem's chosen, this group would attend to other matters in the World of Light.
Vandham deploys four-man mercenary teams to take on missions around the World of Light. Missions can take on a variety of forms, all benefiting the campaign in some way. They'll passively perform scouting trips to find new missions to undertake, and to network together settlements that the heroes have visited. Mission types, with their base rewards, include:
- Scout: explore an area. Awards new missions on the Board
- Hunt: eliminate enemies from an area. Awards a number of enemy spirits
- Search: seek out a particular individual or group of individuals, either fitting a description or having a certain ability. Awards a new recruit or the spirit of the target
- Fetch: gather resources from the target area. Awards resources
- Claim: seek out a valuable item or artifact from the area. Awards that treasure
- Build: set up a new structure in the target area. Awards a strategic foothold in the area that can be used to manufacture, resupply, defend, or whatever as needed
- Develop: look into a new technology or other ingenuity to support the efforts of the mercenaries. Can include weapons, vehicles, power-ups, networks, and more Awards vary
- Strike: take on an enemy stronghold. Awards spirits, strong spirits, and treasure
- Raid: take on one of Galeem's champions. Awards the champion spirit and campaign progress
The results of all missions depend on the team chosen for the job. Mercenary 101 is that teams should have members with a variety of specialties that allow them to confront varied situations. The bog standard composition is one tank, one healer, and two damage-dealers. Characters with talents that are well-suited to the task at hand will have an easier and more productive time; in some cases, they're necessary to make any progress. A team that's too weak or whose members cannot overcome certain challenges may suffer injuries or even losses, and the mission can go wrong or even fail entirely. Mercenaries who complete missions can progress to higher rankings, indicating their strength and ability. Levels are indicative of World of Light power, not original power. They can also be commanded to fuse with spirits to augment their abilities. Mercenary levels, with their current members, are as follows:
Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Mym, Falco, Jigglypuff, Ness, Mona, Ashley, Yennefer, Yuri Kozukata, Arcade Bunny, Terry Bogard, Diddy Kong, Gogoat, Pit, King Dedede, Olimar, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner, Joe Higashi, Josie Rizal, Guile, Bomberman, Knuckles, Starfy, Nikki, Toadsworth, Luigi, Max Howard, Louis Amamiya, Ghalt, Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Jones, Val, Steve, Athena, Tressa, Caesar, Mr. Bones, Skelly, Pandemonica, Eddie Riggs
Mewtwo, Euden, Vandham, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Nintendog, Wii Fit Trainer, Chrom, Corrin (Female), Shovel Knight, Din, Nero, V, Jak & DaxterWario, Waluigi, Daisy, Junkrat, Roadhog
Players interested in getting something done out in the World of Light can request missions using Alcamoth's Moogle Messangers. Just calling out for a Moogle is enough for a player character to summon one, who can take a request to deliver to Vandham. Requests require mission type, location, objective, and team composition. Once a mission has been started, a Snapshot can be made at a later date that gives a look into what the team got up to at a point during the mission. The Snapshot can be written by me, the requestor, or whoever's interested. Only after the Snapshot is written and posted can the mission be completed and its rewards attained. A mission on the Board can be initiated with no cost, but making a new one costs 3 Veteran Points. Every player's stock of Veteran Points is equal to the combined level of all of their characters. If you have a character at level 7, another at 3, and another at 1, your total is 11. The requesting PC also needs to know the mission parameters, of course.
- SCOUT – Land of Adventure Northwest, Land of Adventure Northeast, Land of Adventure Southwest, Land of Adventure Southeast, 1-1 South, Dark Forest East
- ”A New Age of Pizza” - SEARCH – Seek out someone who knows a thing or two about pizza in the Land of Adventure for Mona. Hat Kid mentioned a certain trio who fit the bill. Movement skills recommended.
- ”Territorial Rotbart” - HUNT – Eliminate the gigantic, overleveled ape wandering around in the open in southwestern Land of Adventure. Serious combat skills recommended.
- ”Techno Revolution” - BUILD – Construct a vehicle bay in Smash City Alcamoth. Having vehicles would drastically increase traversal time and options, and also increase combat ability. Construction skills recommended.
- "Paved Wilderness Recruitment Drive" - SEARCH - There are a number of tough fighters in this area who may be of use to the cause, with the pitstop known as Hammerhead a clear standout. Just make sure to avoid association with the mercenaries who wrecked the Rust Arena! Persuasion skills recommended
- "Cracking an Egg" - STRIKE - Assault the base of the nefarious Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik in the area east of the 1-1 junkyard to put a stopper in his plans to invade Peach’s Castle. Forces unknown, presumed robotic but fairly primitive. Unique robot swordsman identified as potential threat. Structure unknown. Rewards unknown. Assigned to Hollythorn, Daisy, Eddie Riggs, Luigi
- "Vah Naboris Retrieval" - FETCH - Secure the Divine Beast for future use by the Alcamoth Mercenaries and Seekers of Light. An in-depth examination of Vah Naboris may ensue to figure out its functions and how to control it. Assigned to Zelda, Wii Fit Trainer, Dr. Mario, and Caesar
- "Scout: Dead Zone Desolation" - SEARCH - Venture to the Dead Zone following its apparent annihilation by the enigmatic bomb delivered therein. Confirm the status of the region boss as well as any survivors, if possible. Friendlies to look for: Nico, Ratchet & Clank, Noctis, Prompto, Gladio, Ignis, Doom Slayer. Assigned to Nero and Yuri Kozukata
- "Deathmatch at Lakeside - STRIKE - The location of an oasis between a pyramid and a slew of ruins has been pinpointed, and the ruins are occupied by two teams of fighters engaged in an endless shifting battle with one another under the supervision of a nebulous Administrator. Storm the place and bring the conflict to an end, freeing the soldiers for incorporation into our ranks if possible, and retrieving any usable supplies. No assignments specified
- ”Recruitment Drive: Lumbridge” - SEARCH - Visit Lumbridge town in the Land of Adventure and seek out additional recruits. The refugees from the Dead Zone may be willing to lend their strength. Completed by Dr. Mario, Zelda, Wii Fit Trainer, and Nintendog
- ”Recruitment Drive: Peach's Castle” - SEARCH – Visit Peach's Castle in 1-1 and seek out additional recruits. Characters met briefly by the original party may still be in the area. Completed by Din, Corrin, Shovel Knight, and Chrom
- ”The Main Man” - SEARCH – Seek out Mario in 1-1 and the Paved Wilderness. A famous celebrity and renowned fighter, Mario would be an inspiration to the troops. Completed by Junkrat, Roadhog, Din, and Mym
- "Scout: 1-1 Scrapyyard" - SEARCH - Find out what keeps the robot hordes coming out of the scrapyard to sow chaos across 1-1. Completed by Hollythorn, Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi
- ”Connecting the Hamlet” - BUILD – Visit the Hamlet, town of pigs, in northeastern Land of Adventure and set up a trade route to Lumbridge to prevent the town de-spawning next time the region regenerates. Completed by Steve, Shovel Knight, Knuckles, King Dedede